Thursday, August 28, 2008

Past Lives

I haven't been able to get to my squid drawing yet, though I know exactly what I want to draw. That is sometimes the problem...when things are already finished in my head I lose my motivation to actually put them on paper. But I will probably get to it in the next week or so. I've become somewhat enamored with beetles and checked out a fabulous book on them. It's lovely and filled with beautiful pictures of actual beetles (most of them dead already, so it's a little creepy) and fantastic illustrations. If you have a fascination with beetles, this is the book for you.



Since I have nothing new to post, I thought it would be fun to dredge up some old sketches from the last few years. I recently found an old drawing book from when I lived in Eugene. It covers a messy and painful breakup, which I'm sure is perfectly obvious.











The next two sketches were inspired by this quote:

"Yin and Yang are highly inscrutable and man is only a temporary sojourner in them. With all the glorious prosperity of a short lived mushroom, he tumbles to ruin within a day. With all the momentary glory of a spring flower, he succumbs to frost within a week. Not even the winds blowing through high heaven or the
sudden flash of lightening can move any faster. A century is to be likened to the smoke ridden by a meteor; whitening hair comes with the speed of an arrow passing by with a crack. Man appears like a perishing bamboo shoot before he has even sprouted; he meets his autumn and tumbles to pieces."

-From the autobiography of Ge Hong.



No comments: