Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Full Moon Weirdness

Does the moon affect you? It does me. Every time I'm feeling antsy and crazy and just generally dissatisfied for a few days running it turns out to be around the full moon. It's pretty rough. Yesterday I was so deep in a gray-blue funk that even my yoga class, pho for dinner, followed by gelato and a few chapters out of James and the Giant Peach(Read to me by my wonderful boyfriend! English is his second language but he is just so good at reading aloud!) did nothing for me. I went to sleep at nine-thirty-ish but felt worlds better this morning.

Everything I work on seems to take for-ever. I've been working on this squid drawing for a long while now, and I'm only now starting to get it finished.


Perhaps I should have made it a wedding cake. I still can afterwards in photoshop I suppose.

Since I've been on etsy.com alot I've noticed a distinct artistic style that seems to be pretty popular. I can't quite define it however, it's sort of like creepy children's book illustration. The defining characteristics are little creatures/people, animal costumes, animals in costumes, disconnected objects, and a certain muted palette. Lots of muted and/or flat colors and deliberate naiveté
. I love it all, I'm just curious as to how this style developed.

betsywalton.etsy.com
ashleyg.etsy.com
berkleyillustration.etsy.com
timssally.etsy.com
katcharly.etsy.com
OrangeWillow.etsy.com
yumiyumi.etsy.com

Is it an asian influenced thing? The style reminds me of cute Japanese things (but at the same time also of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are ).
Jason Sho Green also seems to fall into this category. It also reminds me a little of Takashi Murakami's art if it had been whitewashed. Aya Takano, one of my favorite artists, is also floating on the periphery of this style.

Anyhow, I find it interesting.

No comments: