Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Goodwill Bonaza!

I wouldn't normally post twice in as many days, but I just had to write about my Goodwill shopping adventure. I had originally intended to buy a lamp at the Goodwill for the spare bedroom. We have a friend coming that will be staying with us for about a month and I wanted to be sure that the room was comfortable for him. I hate it when there are no smaller lamps to light a room. Overhead lighting at night is so depressing. But I didn't manage to find a lamp there...I bought that later at Target. But I did find these:


Wonderful blue Ball jars with glass lids that are held secure by wire, a nice ceramic jar with a lid (which is now in our fridge, protecting our extensive collection of cheese. My man loves his cheese!), and a lovely serving platter.

When I first saw this platter, it was piled under a bunch of other junk and it was not shiny. It was black and horrible, with strange yellow streaks under the glass dishes. But I dug it out from under the other stuff, and looked on the bottom, and sure enough there was a little blue enamel tag in the center that said: "Kent Silversmiths, Fine Silversmithing since 1875". Of course it's not that old, but it is silver! I brought it home and polished it up and it turned out beautiful.

Now what, you might be asking, is all of this stuff sitting on? What might that cute little table look like? And is it new?

It is new! Or, rather, it's new to me! I walked into the store and this was the first thing I saw. It's solid wood with a cream colored paint that has seen better days, the drawer needs to to be glued and there is a hunk of wood missing from the bottom shelf (you can't really see it at all), but it is lovely! And solid and the trim is in gold paint! I want to strip this old paint off and repaint it, but I'm not sure what colors I should use. Fire engine red with white trim? Ocean blue with yellow trim? Yellow with blue trim? Beige with black trim? White with silver trim? The possibilities are endless! But I can't decide. Suggestions would be much appreciated. I plan on using it (actually, I am using it already) as my bedside table. I'm in looooooove with this little table.

No comments: