Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Wonderful World of Etsy

Sometimes I get tired of big commercial stores telling me what to buy. I get tired of buying stuff that was made in China. I want to buy things that are made by an actual person! I want to return to the days when things were made by hand and when you bought something you knew the person you were buying from. I want to support an actual individual with my purchase, not line the pockets of shareholders, while the workers get paid minimum wage. And I finally found a place where I can do that! At least for some stuff. I'm sure some of you out there have already heard of Etsy, but I'm a relative newcomer to this wonderful world of handmade goodness. I can't say enough good stuff about this place. It really gives me the feeling of an alternate world, one where a person with a steaming mug of spiced cider can wander around a big marketplace, perusing little market stands filled with creative beautiful items. It's really special...I know I sound a little cheesy right now, but it's so inspiring to see people making beautiful, unique things. It's comforting to know that there are people out there that don't spend their lives at the mall and watching television. My latest purchase is this:
This is handmade charcoal soap, a face serum made from squalane, and a wonderful perfume rolly ball stick purchased from ZajaNatural on Etsy. They arrived in the mail with a complimentary slice of lovely smelling hand soap and an extra piece of charcoal soap (since the big bar needed to cure for a few more weeks...soap needs to cure, who knew?!). I love the soap, it's creamy and wonderful and doesn't dry my skin, and the serum is also just what I had been needing. Squalane is super similar to the oil that the body produces naturally so it absorbs really well. I have just been adding a few drops to my regular lotions/creams for my face. Love it. The perfume roller ball is super cute, but I'm not sure if I like the smell. It's sweet and nice, but it reminds me a little bit of the smell from the strawberry short cake dolls from my childhood. Do you remember those dolls? But I haven't given up! I'm going to try this next:

The Cacao and Blue Agave Scent Cocktail! It sounds really nice. I would recommend this seller. Her soaps are super nice, her customer service is wonderful, and her prices are reasonable.

LONG LIVE THE HAND MADE MOVEMENT!!!


No comments: