Monday, July 20, 2009

Oh, Portland! Why did I Ever Leave Thee?

First off, let me just say how much I hate carpet. I hate it with a burning and abiding (and almost all consuming) passion. I would gladly draw and quarter whatever moron came up with wall to wall carpeting.

Ok, now that that is out of the way I can get on to posting about how much I adore Portland. I was thinking today, on my way home from the park with Gunter, about why I'm capable of enjoying Portland this time around, when last time I didn't enjoy it nearly so much. I think there are several reasons for this.

1) Money. I now have the money to enjoy being here. I am no longer poor and unable to go and do stuff. That alone makes a huge difference.

2) I'm older. I now longer feel the need to go to places that are infested with hipsters and their news boys caps (Nothing against those hats, actually. I own several.), tattoos, tight jeans, and dirty looks.

3) I think it took going to live in a place that was infested with douche bags (i.e. silicon valley) to truly understand this one fact: I prefer hipsters to douche bags, hands down.

And then of course there is the fact that Oregon is so awesome in the summer.



This! This is the park near my house. Off leash! Oh California! How I hate thee! How I hate thee and your parks and recreation department! (Although I feel compelled to mention that the other dog people have not as been as friendly as one would hope. It's a little disappointing.)

Gunter doesn't want to leave...





HOME FRONT UPDATE:

I have a dresser, witness below:

Hand painted and old as old. Rickety as hell, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Here it is pictured in my bedroom. Which is upstairs. Which begs the question: "how did you get it up there alone?" Answer: Very carefully.

3 comments:

jonna Collins said...

Holy crap! I'm SORRY!!!! About the carpet!! I'm SORRY! jesus......

Unknown said...

OMG!!! that dresser is sooo cool!! am totally jealous of you!!!sadly douche bags are a global infestation!!! YUCKY POO!!

Justine said...

Hi Joanna,

You're right, d-bags can be found everywhere...but some places have a higher percentage than others.

Don't you just love the dresser?! 50 bucks off of craigslist! You should see the bed I'm getting today...another craigslist find. I'll post a pict as soon as I get it.