Friday, January 15, 2010

On Pugs


(don't let that face deceive you)

Now, I'm sure that all of Dieter's faults are somehow my own. I don't blame him for being the wickedest pug that's ever trotted sideways over the face of the planet. No. I lay the blame directly where it is due. Poor little Dieter. The deck was stacked against him from the beginning.

(angel pug)

From the first he had to compete with what I like to call the Angel Pug (aka, Gunter....also known as Angel Face by his Auntie Kellie). Just look at his little face, all he wants to do is please and snuggle (and fetch his squeeky toy from across the park....this dog is a serial fetcher. No throw is too far, no time is too many. He's like a stupid lab that way). Gunter had everything that a spoiled first child of an attachment parenting organic waldorf school co-sleeping mama could give him. Hours of my undivided time, walks, treats, pats and pets, attention attention attention. Poor little Dieter doesn't get half of that. Instead of being an unemployed student during his puppyhood (a la Gunter), I'm running my own crazy business and have very little time for him. It's terrible. And I already feel like a slave to the pugs whenever I have a free moment. But it's just not enough.

(criminal)

Dieter had a very bad day yesterday. It made me want to start looking for a farm that might be one pug short. I think country living would suit him. I hadn't let him be free in the kitchen for a while, and so, last night when J and I went to eat pho (most likely my favorite food ever) I left the pugs gated in the kitchen. What harm could he do right? He was well stocked with toys and Gunter.


Lest you sympathetic readers out there feel sorry for the tiniest pug, that chewed up corner is on not one, but 2 benches. Both benches were chewed up. And I just made them! Like 3 weeks ago at the most. The second little gift he had waiting for me required these two things:



But I won't go into detail. Suffice it to say, I was incredibly unhappy about it. My jacket and scarf had been pulled off of the kitchen table too (luckily enough he hadn't peed on them....).

Why is this pug:


so much wickeder than this pug?:


Why does the tiniest pug do wicked bad things? Why does he eat the entire contents of the bathroom garbage? Why does he chew on the woodwork and refuse to poop poop outside? Why can't he be more like this?:


Of course, the fact that Gunter is almost 5 doesn't help Dieter any. I've already forgotten any of the bad stuff that Gunter did. And Dieter is only 9 months old. I should really cut him some slack. And he's not as bad as I make him out to be. He's really doing quite well. But compared to Gunter, he's a demon pug. I can't wait until he's reached the mellowing stage....two years is a long way away.

1 comment:

jonna Collins said...

Polaroid makes everyone look like a professional photographer! Yay for Shakeit!