Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2009 - A Retrospective



(My boyfriend's house has carpet, so they finally got a little bit of traction. I always think my pugs are a little bit clumsy, but really they are crazy athletes who just can't move on slick wood floors very well.)

This video is actually from 2010, but I felt I needed to include a pug video right off, for those of you who read the blog just for a pug fix. Feel free to navigate away now, I'm probably just going to get a little bit maudlin and go on and on about how great my life is.

2009 was a big year for me. I started my company, singleB, in February. It took off like it had a jet pack attached and became almost more than I could handle. But I've really enjoyed seeing it grow, and I'm so thankful that I have a way to support myself that doesn't include working for someone else. I'm not really good at taking orders (despite my 5 years in the Navy, go figure). So it really suits me to be the boss. It's also been really nice to see my skills increase. I'm a perfectionist (recovering), and it's been incredibly satisfying to see how my work has improved and become easier. It's been really instructive to flip back through my design book and see how my aesthetic has developed along with my skills. Sometimes a new idea doesn't appear in my mind until I know how to make it.

In May I decided to end the relationship I had been in for two years. It just wasn't giving me what I needed, and I couldn't be/provide for him what he needs. It was a hard decision, but in the end I felt that I had made the right decision. I was also miserable in California, too many people, too many strip malls, too much type A competitiveness.

In June little Dieter came to live with me. Turns out I had forgotten how much work a puppy can be. But he is finally becoming a real pug, so that is a bit of a relief. He's going to be a super handsome little man when he finishes growing up. Crazy tic-tac teeth and all.


In July I returned to Portland. I had never intended to move back here, but I'm so glad I got over that silly rebellion and came to my senses. Portland is awesome and I couldn't be happier about my decision.

In September I moved into my new studio and also into a new apartment in Portland. It was so nice to get my workplace out of my living space. It increased my stress, because now I had two rents to pay, but I think it was a good decision. It gave me the space to expand with new equipment and I'm excited to see the new things I will be able to make with it! My little apartment just keeps getting better and better (slowly). I finally have a grown up couch and a kitchen table with seating:

(My boyfriend and I built these benches and I'm still extremely enthused about how they turned out.)


In September I went out on a date with this guy to OMSI. We met on Match.com. He sent me a long sweet email and I couldn't say no.

Who can say no to a face like this one? Not me. This is the kind of guy who bakes cupcakes for his girlfriends birthday. And sends texts like this one:

Meeting him was the highlight of 2009. Nothing is certain, but I'm giving us good odds for happily ever after.

Another best part of 2009? Being in the same geographic location as my lady friends:

Of course, Kellie is missing from this photo, but she turned up later in the new year's weekend.

Well, that was 2009. 2010 will be even better!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Justine,

I was being my usual lush self, having some wine and playing on the internet, when I found your blog one evening. Since then I've been reading from afar and I adore you and your pug monsters.

I have a pug monster myself. AND met my soon-to-be Sept. Hubby on match.com. I think we're soulmates. Meaning, you and I.

Much Love to you in 2010!

Allie