Monday, May 10, 2010

Shabbas Dinners



Challah, steamed asparagus in redwine vinaigrette, garlic roast, colcannon (mashed potatoes and kale),
and gravy of course.

Wow. It's already Thursday. The weeks just seem to disappear between work and pugs and working out (at my new fantastic gym, i.e. the JCC). How is it that time goes so much faster the older you are? My personal opinion is that since you already remember so much and have seen so much time go by, the span of a week seems vanishingly short. Or maybe it's because as an adult you have so much to do, and that makes time go by faster. Or maybe it is both? Most likely.

So Friday night is now my favorite night of the week. I look forward to it and I enjoy planning for it. It's like a tiny holiday every week!

This week will be roast chicken, homemade pasta coated in the juices from the roasting pan (don't knock it until you try it! It is the most delicious chickeny thing you can eat. Seriously. It is essence of chicken!), challah, wine, maybe green beans? Maybe cilantro cabbage salad? Maybe mashed cauliflower? I can't decide on a vegetable. Creamed chard? Braised greens? When I go grocery shopping tomorrow I'm sure something will pop out at me.

And for the pug lovers out there:





4 comments:

SariiCollins said...

Yummy! I have never tried kale in potatoes. Anything else you add to it? Cute picture of the boys! Love em!

Justine said...

Hey PP, I just cut up the kale and steamed it. Then whizzed it into the cooked potatos with some olive oil, salt and water. If you don't have an immersion blender, you should get one. They are like 30 dollars on amazon and probably the most used thing in my kitchen.

SariiCollins said...

Ha funny. I have an immersion blender. But I didn't realize that is what it's called :) We call it Bertha. It started with saying do you wanna 'push the button Bertha?' Therefore it's always been called Bertha. I think I love it more than my food processor!

Bean said...

I am just getting used to this being-a-grown-up business (even though I've been out of school for years and years now) and was kind of overwhelmed with the fast-pacedness of it all until I read this post. Thanks for letting me know it's possible to live a very full life each week and STILL cook amazing meals! Thanks for the pictures! I think I will have to start planning for fun meals on Friday nights. Very inspiring!!!