Thursday, July 8, 2010

哎呀

Aiya (eye-yah) in Chinese is exclamation sort of like oy vey. Think of the different ways you will say "oy vey". There is the "oy vey!" and the "oy...vey...." I can't really think of a good way to explain it. But it is suitable for me to use right now in all of its forms.

There is a heat wave in Portland right now, which I loooooove, but the Peanut hates. Last night was sizzling. Poor man. My apartment has no air-conditioning and it is on the second floor. Consequently, it is super warm. I have no problem with it, but J needed to lay flat on the couch in his underwear eating a fruit icee and being periodically spritzed with a water bottle in order to endure. The pugs were also trying to escape the heat any way they could (which mostly involved lying like pug-cakes on the floor).

Okay, why do I say 哎呀?

1) Dieter, last night, discovered the extra bag of dog food stored on his crate and ate as much of it as he could pack into his little sausage self. He did this stealthily, there were no telltale sounds. J and I were watching a movie (mama mia, which was terrible, btw) and I was wondering where the Demon pug had got to...I discovered him lying prostrate on the bathroom floor. His belly was swollen up so that he was a solid tube of pug. Normally he is lean and leggy, but at that point he was so large that I was wondering if he could breath. He had done this once before, down at my mom's, and I knew what would follow...A terrible poop hurricane in the middle of the night.

(Please notice the distended and swollen belly. Contents of which are waiting to be deposited on my floors)

He did not disappoint. I didn't know what to do. Should I have locked him in his crate? It would have been a sh*t coffin in the morning, I knew. So I left him free, and put some paper down. (I think we can all guess where this is going...)

In the morning, I came out to discover that a pug-poo tornado had touched down in my living room. (Thank g*d for wood floors). The one spot that had been left untouched was, of course, the paper.

Aiya.

Nothing like pulling on a pair of rubber gloves at 8 am.

(For those of you who would remember...Kellie....Mary...this really had nothing on the Zoe Poop-a-poolooza at the 14th street house.)

For those of you contemplating adopting a dog, let me just remind you that it is not all charming walks and cavorting in the dog park before you go home to snuggle on the couch. No. It is giant piles of hair under the couch and poo-fests and fishing moldy chicken bone fragments out of their mouths with your bare hands. Be warned.

Unless of course, you have a pug like this one:



2 comments:

Catherine Chandler said...

Aw, naughty pugs! Well, pug (singular). My boss almost got a second pug and I'm kind of glad she decided not to. Two kids, one pug, and one siamese cat (all relatively high maintenance) are enough.

Regarding the heat...I learned some tricks while living in Australia with no air conditioner. 1. Place a bowl of ice behind or in front of a fan (at the same level). As the ice melts and evaporates, the cool air gets blow around by the fan. And on the really hot days (like today...100 woohoo!) in the interest of sleep, you can take a light cloth (like a sari) and get it wet with cold water, lay down with it (usually nude or partially nude) with the fan pointing at it...it cools you down quite a bit, sometimes too much, and then will warm up again. I remember plenty of nights of having to get up, rinse the sari again and climb back in bed with it. Good luck!

Justine said...

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for the tips. I actually don't have any problems with sleeping in the heat (3 years in Hawaii with no airconditioning will harden a person to the heat), but I did use some of these tricks for my boyfriend....who ended up throwing in the towel and going home to his house, which is like an icebox because it is half underground. :-) Ah well..