Friday, May 2, 2008

Everyone Deserves a Stolen Clown Bike


This is my trusty bicycle. It has gotten me all around Nanjing. And it hasn't been stolen! (knock on wood) I think I can chalk it up to the kryptonite u-lock I brought over with me. I like using a lock that was more expensive than the bike itself. I would be pretty bummed if that lock was stolen. I'm also going to miss this bike when I go. The back brake screeches like a banshee now, but I still love it.

Of course it would only be karma if my bike were taken. Apparently the street I bought it on is famous for selling stolen bikes. But when I bought it, it looked brand new, so I'm not sure if mine was a stolen bike or not. I call it a clown bike because I am so used to riding a road bike, that this sort of upright posture while riding seems really funny to me. I feel like there should be circus music playing whenever I ride.

I've also mastered the Chinese Moving Bike Mounting Move. What you do is stand on the left side of the bike and put your left foot on the pedal and scoot along and then when you have enough momentum you swing your right leg over the middle of the bike to the right pedal (if you have a man's bike you swing your leg over the back tire). It's harder than it sounds.

No comments: