Friday, May 2, 2008

If you're feeling a little short on reading material...


...stop here. Or at any one of the three little stands that are all within spitting distance of each other. They have magazines galore, usually some gum, a thing of lollipops, sometimes bottled tea and water, and China mobile cellphone cards for sale. Sometimes, the more entrepreneurial will also have a little crock pot full of corn on the cob or zongzi (little pyramids of rice with any variety of fillings, wrapped in leaves and steamed).

The day before yesterday, I stopped by this stand to buy a refill card for my cellphone. Unfortunately the laoban was engaged in a raging card game with a crowd through the window on the opposite side. I had to yell "laoban!" (which just means owner/manager /boss guy) until he came over to my side, still holding his hand of cards with a very unhappy look on his face. I almost laughed, but I didn't. This guy had been very nice to me before. When I first got here and didn't know how to recharge my cellphone, he just took it from me without a word and did all the work. I guess he must get that a lot since his stand is right next to the foreign students dormitory of Nanjing University.

No comments: