Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Love Hate Relationship

Yesterday morning I was having breakfast at a bakery on Hankou Lu. I sat at the window looking out on the constantly busy street and thought about next month. I'll be leaving China and coming home and it struck me that I will really miss being here. I will be relieved to leave as well, but I will miss it too. It's exciting, and dirty, and difficult and wonderful at the same time. Where else can you buy women's panties from an old lady on the side of the road? Where else will the old beggar out front of the bakery offer to watch your bike and bags so you don't have to lock it up and drag them inside with you? And where else can you actually trust this guy to watch your things? Where else can you have this:


across from this:
and next to this:



No, that is not bark, that is human hair from the barber shop next door.


I love this. I love the contrast and contradiction. It's fascinating, and will probably soon disappear. I'm grateful to have been able to see this. It's been a great source of creativity for me.

No comments: