Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Favorite Street in China


I love Hankou Lu. I love it more than any other street in Nanjing. Although I am also a big fan of Zhongshan Lu. But for tiny interesting shops, interesting food and sights, this is the street for me. And the good part is really only a block long! It's amazing and cool and filled with good things to eat and buy. This is what I love about China, the hundreds of small businesses and eateries all crammed into 100-200 yards. It so much more stimulating than an American street.


Of course that giant building going up in the background will probably squeeze out the tiny fruit stand huddled at its foot. It was already forced to move once. It used to be right next door to the bakery. I like this fruit stand, it's run mostly by women, and they will often round down your purchase price to the nearest kuai. Which is nice.

A ubiquitous sight on a Chinese street:
I think they build everything with these red bricks. I've never actually seen so many cranes in all of my life. They're everywhere, you can't turn around without seeing this:


Need some radish? Or maybe some live eels? What about some congealed duck blood? Any part of a pig that you can think of? Live chickens, fresh noodles, fresh tofu, live fish?

If so, then you should head to the wet market on Hankou Lu. It's below the fancier supermarket, Suguo. If you look in my last post, that picture from across the bakery shows the supermarket and the wet market directly below. I like the wet market, I buy veggies there. I am a little grossed out by the blood and fish scales on the ground though.

No comments: