Friday, January 30, 2009

Do you love buns?


I do. Especially buns of the Chinese variety. I was addicted to the veggie buns made by this old migrant worker woman in Bird Flu Alley. I would get a big steamy plastic bag (yum!) full of them for breakfast or dinner. But then one of the week long vacations that the whole country takes came around and she disappeared, never to return. I was heart broken. I moved on to another bun place, but they were never as good.

The ones up above aren't as good either. In fact, they stink. But they are shaped the same, and they do have a hint of the old soft goodness of the old ones. And if you drowned them in hot sauce they are edible. These particular beauties come out of the freezer aisle at the local Ranch 99 Market. They are filled with burdock, which according to the Google define function is: A hardy plant that grows wild in the UK. The long, dark burdock root is delicious in soups, stews and sea vegetable dishes or sautéed with carrots. Its is highly valued in macrobiotic cooking for its strengthening qualities.

I thought it was ok. Very hardy. I know there has to be real baozi out there somewhere. I might try a place I know of right near by. I just don't want to be disappointed....

No comments: